Saturday, December 8, 2012

Close to Completing the Three Pieces

After my work on the second piece had come close to finishing, it was a few classes until I presented some work on the third piece. Before then, I had been presenting bit by bit at a weekly rate. When the time came to present the last of the three short pieces, I had essentially finished the third with a bit of detailing missing. Though a lot of the piece's make up was completed when presented, there was still some discussion on a few points.

Firstly, just if some of the techniques and artificial harmonic sliding was audible in the sections they were used. The other point was the second half of the piece, when the left hand of the piano settles into a specific rhythm. The groove here goes on for pretty long, and it was a concern to some that it may actually be going on too long in the same rhythm without changing. Also, the end could of been shortened up slightly. My thoughts on this were just that I had repeated the rhythm for so long because I really wanted that groove to settle and be locked in. I guess I thought while writing the piece that if it changed too quickly the impression of that rhythm really wouldn't be as settled into the listeners minds as much as I hoped. It wasn't a matter of copy and pasting and running out of ideas. Listening now to the performance, I still don't really feel as if it goes on too long and gets boring. Although, it is always going to sound different in the ears of another listener. I did, however, end up implementing the more sudden ending idea as I feel it worked even better than the original ending of the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment