Saturday, December 8, 2012

A Contrasting Second Piece

When the time came to present my second piece, I thought that the work I had, though close to completed, was not something that would take long to comment on. Instead my one page, two systems, and barely any midi playback of a second piece was talked about for half of the class! It seems everyone had lots to say about very little music, but I guess where the score required so much detail, there was a lot to talk about.

The idea of this piece, or movement, was much different than the previous one. As oppose to slow flowing feel that accompanied movement one, I wanted there to be a free feel based around cues from each members to each other and with timed seconds between motives as oppose to the normal beats. This was a style and notational style I had used before, though I never did receive much professional feedback on the score aspect of that previous piece. So, I was looking forward to receiving some feedback on this.

The main point that was emphasized during the discussion was that even though this piece was in more of a free style, it was still important to clarify specific things. For example, don't necessarily say "completely free" as the piece was not actually completely free. Also during certain small rhythmic motives, it would be very helpful to specify a tempo just for these sections.

Now that the performance of this piece has long happened, I see that making these clarifications was very
important for the performers when interpreting the piece. It seems that in general, if you have a specific idea of how something you should sound or feel, you should be as specific as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment