Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Behind on posts already!

It seems I've fallen behind on posting weekly blogs already! Unfortunately, I don't find this completely surprising as I do often forget to do quicker and smaller tasks compared to bigger ones. I did however, have some thoughts jotted down from that week's class that I planned on writing about. 

First of all, I'm sure this is something everyone has discussed, but everybody's pieces really are completely different. Despite the project having a sort of layout and a direction or frame the pieces will follow, each piece has a distinctly different voice. I think this not only shows that each composer in the class has a different style or tastes but also that each person interpreted this project differently in which direction it would take their composing. Upon initially reading the guidelines these pieces would follow, each composer had a different idea of what they would do. Strangely though, almost everybody has included a cello part in their pieces!


For this first presentation of my piece so far, I had finished the entire piano part, but was only just beginning to fill in the cello and vibraphone parts. The general consensus was that no one else composed in this fashion, instead writing everything together as they went along. I decided to compose this way because I had the entire piece planned out, and wanted to almost have the whole thing mapped out before adding the other instruments in.With this piece, it proved to be beneficial because I received some suggestions when presenting the work in progress that gave me further ideas on how to build to certain parts in the piece using other instruments. I do see though, how composing this way could cause a problem. This could especially apply to writing a piece where you would like each instrument to be completely equal in the music that's been written for them. This style I will be pursuing more so with the second and third pieces of this set!

Andrew  

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was so interesting when you said that was how you composed the piece. I had never thought to do it that way. How did you compose the other two movements? Would you compose in this way again?

    It's definitely something that can have positive outcomes since your first movement was a hit!

    ReplyDelete